FINISHED ! Holly Hobbie Tania Culottes

I feel like I'm taking all my styling cues from Holly Hobbie today. It's all about corduroy culottes!
  I really love culottes and knickerbockers and am always looking out for a pattern, so when Megan Nielson released her Tania Culottes as part of the Breakwater collection I couldn’t move fast enough to buy them.  Despite all the styling and pattern notes talking about lightweight materials, it is Autumn and I love corduroy so I immediately saw this pattern in corduroy.
I had just enough corduroy left over from my Laurel dress to make it up exactly as per the pattern in size S.  I’m really happy with the fit, it is perfect and I didn’t need to make any alterations.
Let’s talk first about the pattern.  The way the front folds come together with the hidden crotch is ingenious. Massive congratulations to Megan.   The pattern has only a few pieces and is super straightforward to make up.  Even hemming the legs on the curve was pretty good and I hand stitched the waistband in place.  I’ve seen lots of very stylish girls in circle skirts in the MMMay13 flickr group and I’d recommend to anyone who wears this type of skirt to rush out and buy this pattern! It definitely allows you to sit in a very unlady like manner!
Sadly I had a shocker with the invisible zip.  Both times I didn’t place it correctly so the teeth curve around a bit over the waistband. The first time I actually managed to break the invisible zip by removing the pully thing, so I had to unpick the zip and put a new one in.  I still put it in the wrong place??! I’ve made a big note in my pattern booklet now about that, so I think I’ve learned that lesson now.  I hope so anyway.

Despite really loving the pattern, and I enjoy wearing them ... I’m not exactly sure they suit me.  Originally I made them thinking they would look great with my Bensimon jumper that I bought in France, but the silhouette didn't look great on me; the proportions a bit wrong when I then tried them on together.  Could be the colour of the corduroy as well?  I then proceeded to try them on with lots of my tops and nothing was quite right. I like them with this vest as the silhouette works better, though it is corduroy on corduroy and a bit cutesy.

I still think a longer pair might be very stylish, to the calf in a dark navy light wool for work.  Mmm maybe I’ll add that to the list of things to make.

20 comments:

  1. oh my goodness!! i must say, i never realised how cute these could be in cord!!! I LOVE them!! I think the lovely drape of your corduroy really works beautifully with this. Obviously i now need to make myself a pair of cord Tanias!
    Meanwhile, i think they really suit you! super cute styling honey! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite pattern of the new collection, so I'm so glad to see it made up. I love your version! I was thinking of this as a summer item, but you've shown how versatile it is! Great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was skeptical about culottes in general, but these look great! I go through a period of doubt every time I incorporate a new silhouette into my wardrobe. Hopefully you can work these in, they look really cute on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a different look for you. I like, I think you can totally make them work!! Looks great with the vest and cord on cord is ok in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These totes look like a gorgeous circle skirt! I'm thinking the volume of fabric in the wrap top is fighting against the volume of fabric in the skirt? Mayhaps something sleeker on top? In saying that I love these on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look adorable on you! and I think they do suit you, and look terrific in this outfit. I thought it was a skirt at first. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a great pattern because it looks like a skirt, but they are perfect for riding a bicycle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You might be right!! I think I need to try them on with a tight(ish) tee or something like that. A blousey blouse didn't work nor a jumper.. but something tucked in could be the ticket. Thanks for the advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Amy - I feel like I'm falling down a corduroy rabbit hole only to emerge in Spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Morgan. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels a bit weird with a new silhouette. They were such fun to wear yesterday, that I really need to find ways to wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Shar. These were definitely my favourites too - although now I've just bought the crescent blouse as well !!! I'm a sucker for shorts and tights, so trying these up in an Autumn fabric was inevitable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Megan for a great pattern. I was lucky to have super great quality cord which helped with the drape. I think the autumn options are endless. Suede??

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually like these better in the heavier cord than the floatier versions I have seen. You can totally wear them. The whole outfit looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are fantastic! I thought it was a skirt at first, but a skirt that wide would be a nightmare on a windy day. So clever! More! More!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes, but in these it can be as windy as windy!! I think these could be a perfect pattern for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Katherine. I think they work in a slightly heavier fabric although if I can my styling working, I might wear them in a lighter fabric for summer - but that is a long way away...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for your comment. I think you might be right... I just need to find or make something. Blousey didn't work because of the proportions, but I love your idea of a collar of scarf for balance. Thanks again - you've got me thinking! Oh and yes, get yourself some culottes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am SO glad you made these up: I was just wishing this morning that someone would be quick and make one up so I could see what it looked like on more people. Thank you! I will also have to think about if the circle design works for me...

    ReplyDelete