FINISHED! Banskia top

Untitled


Finally.  I have finished this top.  Unnaturally I took my time with it. It is a bit dodgey in places, but as I said in my last post, if you stand a little way away from it the sewing looks pretty good.  I really liked the pattern (placket aside) and the fit is great - no  adjustments needed.
Untitled
I'm really glad I did it but there are a few things I would do differently:
  1. I will line up the buttonholes properly - although the spacing on this one IS a design feature!!
  2. I like the material, but it is a bit pale and because of the material makes me a bit washed out (and it's hard to photo)
  3. I used the facing for the whole placket which meant that it was doubled over which I think was too much. It made it hard for my button holdes. Next time around (if there is one) I would only do half. Luckily I will never have to undo the buttons!
  4. I love my machine, but it is pretty low end, so if I were to ever buy a new one I think checking out the button holes would be number one on my list.  I've now decided that my machine doesn't do great button holes!  It's not me!
Untitled
The fabric I used is Liberty of London "Kara's Trees" and is from the 2011 Summer collection.  It is a design inspired by Quentin Blakes 'L is for Legs' illustration for his 'ABC'. 
Untitled

I have 11 days left of August is Buttons so I might have enough time to squeeze in another button outfit.  I liked making the drape cardigan and I have worn it HEAPS of times, so I might make another one.... However.... yesterday in the post arrived  my new Pleated Pant pattern from Papercut Patterns.  I know others have talked about their packaging and how great it is, but it is really beautiful.  I think the Banksia top will go great with a finished pleated pant as the ones I'm wearing here are getting a bit old... but I should wait until Zipper month!

5 comments:

  1. I love this top. The collar is so sweet and the fabric is wonderful. Well done on making the buttonholes as well considering you don't need them to get the top on. I know I would have cheated and just sewn them on through the layers! But maybe that is a terrible admission!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh there is no way I would have bothered with the buttons other than I have set myself this challenge of doing buttons. I'm with you on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing is that fabric?! I'm so glad you added a close up pic. The blouse is stunning, BTW, and I love how you styled it. Zoe xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for popping by Zoe! Yes, I needed to add the close up because it was impossible to photograph - for a reluctant man photographer anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful blouse Kirsty!! The fabric is lovely, and I loooove those big rounded collars.

    ReplyDelete