FINISHED! Is there a Dr Tulloch in the library?

I had a busy week last week and fell into the weekend with only an ounce of energy left. Friday night I was looking down the barrel of a busy weekend of kids activities, including soccer and back to back kids parties on Sunday (9.30am to 3pm, gone gone gone to kids parties) plus the usual weekend 'stuff'.  Nevertheless, I stole minutes from wherever I could and managed to fit all manner of activities in, including a dinner at my mum's with my sister and her family, accidentally slamming Ben's fingers in the boot of the car - woopsa!, soccer, present buying and sending, selling our car - not because of the fingers in the boot (to a mum from preschool and school, so let's hope the car goes ok otherwise I'll have nowhere to hide) finishing the dreaded French homework.... and... yes, the Dr Tulloch Library dress got made as well!

I need to bottle away how I managed to find minutes here and there to make this dress. Looking back I can't believe it got done and not even too late into the night. Not tooooo late!  Admittedly it is an easy dress and it comes together very quickly which kept me motivated.

The first time I made this dress, Simplicity 2615 which Emily sent, I didn't buy enough fabric.  I also felt the collar wasn't quite right for me so ended up making a scarf to compensate and if I'm honest with myself the length isn't quite right.  It's not abandoned though and is still on the work outfit rotation.  

This time around, I added a peter pan collar and definitely prefer it. I also kept the dress longer (funny what happens when you buy enough material) and this too works better and suits the style of the dress.  I couldn't find a belt I like so just made up the tie, but will keep my eyes open for a belt.   I'm really happy with the way it has come together... it does have a cute librarian feel to it. Which suits the books in the material perhaps.  I feel very demure in it.

I have some better shoes for a summer wear of this dress  I originally thought black patent shoes would look good but it's not quite right.  Of course this isn't exactly a winter dress, but with a coat and scarf on for outside and in a heated office where I'm always running around..who cares!!
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
The collar that wasn't quite cut right has now become a 'design feature'!
Would I buy this in the shop if I saw it. Yes.  Yes, I think I might.

By the way, We are currently reading this book, The Hero's Guide to Saving your Kingdom by Christopher Healy  at any opportunity, when I'm not trying to sneak in some sewing. Highly highly recommend it if you are looking for a present for a child. Oliver is 6 and he is loving it!  (As am I!).  We read a lot of chapters of this over the weekend too!  Do yourself a favour!
Here's what the book is about:
"In the first volume of the Hero’s Guide saga, we meet Prince Frederic, Prince Liam, Prince Gustav, and Prince Duncan — better known as the Princes Charming who rescued Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel, and Snow White, respectively — and find out that these men are far more (or less) than the cardboard cutout heroes we’ve heard tales about. Rejected by their princesses and cast out of their kingdoms, these four men bond over their shared anonymity and band together to battle witches, goblins, trolls, bandits, and giants in order to save each of their kingdoms from a diabolical plot."


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful dress, and the Peter Pan collar is perfect. Thanks for posting the close up photo. It gives a much better view of that lovely print. Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is a gorgeous print of books on a bookshelf.

      Delete
  2. I love it! So cute. I'm glad the time-management gods were on your side this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It makes Mondays better to wear something freshly made so I'm glad those gods were smiling as well!

      Delete
  3. Oh that's lovely! I haven't seen this fabric made up before - it is much more subtle than I expected. Love that wide waistband and collar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful! What a lovely Liberty print!

    ReplyDelete